PolifrogBlog

There is no free in liberty.


.

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Gary Pearce Falls Prey to a Journalist-Censor's Catch-22...

polifrog



Gary Pearce, over at Talking About Politics, references Tom Fetzer's use of the phrase "idiot bloggers" and his own experience in censoring commentary...

I’m sure Tom Fetzer wasn’t talking about Carter and me last weekend when he urged North Carolina Republicans to ignore “idiot bloggers".

But I’m sure he was talking about the idiots who virtually hijacked our blog last year with attacks on Fetzer and other candidates for GOP party chair.

It got so bad Carter called me one day and asked if I minded him censoring the most libelous and mean-spirited stuff. No problem, I said. I love when Republicans fight, but I was embarrassed by it.

I was curious about what Fetzer could have done to be the victim of "libelous and mean-spirited a stuff" from within his own party. But, sure enough, when I searched Talking About Politics for "Tom Fetzer", the search only returned three links and nothing of the attacks on Fetzer referenced by Gary.

I am left wondering how Gary Pearce finds the journalistic authority to pin the descriptions "libelous and mean spirited" on "idiots" when he can point to no proof of such libel or even of the events described.

It appears that Pearce has fallen prey to a journalist-censor's catch-22.

I don't question Gary Pearce and Carter Wrenn's right to to censor comments on their own blog, but It seems to me that if one chooses to censor comments on their blog one should be held to the repercussions of that censoring. In this case, not being able to reference the comments or events censored.

It can be difficult to play both censor and journalist simultaneously.

On the other hand, the events could quickly be uncensored thus returning the supporting material.



out

No comments:

Post a Comment